Thursday, August 10, 2017

At Home

The word is out that we have relocated! We are in the midst of complete unpacking chaos over here, but I thought I would share a bit of the background story and all about our new home! When we first moved to Boston, we had 24 hours to find a place, so we decided that we would find a pretty spot to rent for a year and get to know the area before buying a home. We landed on the prettiest apartment/house rental (in Boston they have big old houses that are split into units) by the ocean/near downtown and loved living there........all the while knowing it was temporary. About a year ago we started seriously house hunting, and went to bazillions of open houses on the weekends (which quickly lost their fun factor after the second weekend), put in a few offers that got rejected (so discouraging), and had nearly given up when out current house popped up on the market. It checked off all of the big things on our list: good commute, good schools, high ceilings, a yard, some natural light.....and when we saw it in person we fell hard. As weird and hokey as it sounds, we felt "at home" the minute we pulled up to the open house. The charm of the house and the outdoor area were the biggest selling points for us. We didn't think we stood a chance since so many of our previous offers on other houses fell through, but long story short- we got the house!
~
About the house: I don't think it's a coincidence that I have been reading about minimalism and have seriously paired down items in our home and closets. I think I saw the writing on the wall during all of those open houses- that if we were going to live in the areas we wanted to live, we would be getting a smaller house. In general, I would say the average Boston house is much smaller than those in other parts of the country (because they're old). Our house was built in 1905.....barely making the rule Connor made early on that whatever house we bought "had to be built no later than the 1900s" (that was after looking at a house built in the late 1700s). I can't say I blame him- while the charm is nice, we weren't looking for hidden repair costs. All that to say- we have a small house (1300 sq ft. to be exact) with lots of history.......a small cottage is what I'm calling it. There's storage and a small room in the basement that they don't factor into the square footage, and there's room to finish off the attic which is something we are hoping to do in the near future.  (Ps. Below is the only space not in disarray and also my favorite space- our sunroom!)
~
If you have been following along for a few years, you will know that we had a cookie cutter house in Indianapolis (with 2800 sq. ft!) before moving to Boston. While I loved living there, I was not initially excited about the house. I knew it was a good investment, and that it made sense given we didn't think we would be in Indianapolis for long, but it did not get me excited at first. It was a very "mechanical" purchase if you will. We did make it our own and fall in love with it eventually, but that house was more of a process for me. This house was love at first sight for all of us, and having had both home buying experiences, I think my heart is just completely grateful for this one, since I know it's not usually the case. I was telling my mom that in our eleven years of marriage, I have always had one eye looking ahead to the next move, and this is the first time that there is no move in the near future (if there is one at all?).  I felt myself exhale a sigh of relief when we spent our first night here....."ahh home at last". Life brings it's fare share of highs and lows for everyone, and this moment will be filed under our "high", so thanks everyone for the well wishes.




2 comments: